cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
giannac
Dog fanatic

Dog destroyed expensive item

I am sitting for 3 dogs at their owners house. They have a puppy and asked that I put him in his crate if I'm leaving and at night, but didn't say anything about any other times. Today I went to take a shower and when i came out I saw that the dog had chewed my laptop charger in half. I usually wouldnt mind but it costs $80 and I'm a college student so my laptop is really important for my school work. Also the charger was plugged in under a bed and not easily reachable. I want to ask for reimbursement but I'm not sure how. Is it rude to ask them to pay me back for something like that?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WaltG
Top dog

Re: Dog destroyed expensive item

You can always ask the owner to reimburse you but don't expect them to pay, I wouldn't!    Lesson learned be more careful next time and always contain a dog you don't know very well, especially a puppy

0 Kudos
giannac
Dog fanatic

Thanks, I would never expect them to pay but I was hoping to ask them about it. And I do know now that I'll have to keep him in sight at all times:)

0 Kudos
Hrhopkins77

I think maybe asking for half the cost. As sitters we pretty much know that a puppy usually will be a chewer and since the owners asked for the puppy to be created or kenneled while you are away or sleeping it is safe to say they kinda warned that puppy needs to be supervised. So I think it's fair to ask for partial reimbursement and explain how it happened.

0 Kudos