cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PittieMomma
Dog fanatic

Need advice about my pit bulls and my profile

Hello my name is Tracy and I am new to Rover as a in home dog sitter. I have a concern that owners looking to book will pass me up just simply because they see that I have pit bulls. 
Can anyone offer me any advice on what I can do to let people know at first glance that my dogs are awesome and LOVE other dogs of all sizes and ages?? I have it written in their details but I am afraid that owners will pass by me and not even bother to read my profile.the 4.jpgMy Bubba, guest Mick and My Bailey. The little Boston was my baby but she passed away

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VivianaR
Champ

Re: Need advice about my pit bulls and my profile

Hi PittieMomma,

Unfortunately, a lot of people are afraid of this breed, but there is always an opportunity to stand out.  As an ex-owner of a Rottweiler (she passed away 3 weeks ago after 13 years together) I heard my clients concerns during the meet and greets about my girl behavior.   I will totally recommend you to find a good citizen certification, is very easy to get, but your dog needs to show basic training commands. 

I did the certification a long time ago, when I arrived in the US, my girl was 2 years old and having that certificate opened my doors, with my landlord, I was able to rent the apartment I wanted and when I bought my house I had access for a discount in the insurance company.  Years later, when I sign up with Rover I noticed that give peace of mind to the customers, I used that as a selling point.  Also, my rottie and I went under military-style training, so the owners saw that during the meet and greet. Using common sense, potential customers saw that I could not have this business without a good friendly dog. 

Another thing that helped me was the senior stage of my Rottie, she was wearing diapers inside the house. So that situation helped me too. Potential clients are not afraid of a dog in diapers, even if is a 100lb dog. 

I would say, that everything is an opportunity, so I think, you have an advantage from the other sitters, you have experience with strong breeds, so used it to your favor. For that, you need to re-write your profile and make it stand out.  As sitters we all have a market, some feel more comfortable hosting small dogs, others we feel more comfortable hosting big dogs. Today I'm the top sitter in my area, so with a lot of work and knowing how to sell yourself, definitely having pitties are not a bad thing for your business.

Please, share your profile, so we can help you out. 

Viviana

8 Replies
WaltG
Champ

It is unfortunate that many people are afraid of Pit Bulls because of the bad reputation the breed has, and its not the individual dog but the perception and what people have done to make them fighting dogs.  

Having Pitties is definitely putting you at a disadvantage as potential clients may not be willing to take the chance with your guys. 

What might give you an advantage is other Pit Bull owners seeking pet care as many sitters will not accept them, so possibly highlight that in your profile headline and your about me section.  Best of luck

Derek
Champ

Pit bulls are my breed of choice and they will always have a soft spot in my heart!

So I think maybe showing them in different situations with different dogs/animals (small, big, etc) could help out your situation. Showing some pics of them getting love from humans of different sizes can help as well. As redundant as it may sound, but basically showing them doing some not-so-pitbull things. We know they are wonderful but most people think of the stereotype. Also, your pups are “pet bulls” so maybe try having fun with changing their name. The “pit” part of their name refers to a time when they were “pitted” against other animals. 

VivianaR
Champ

Hi PittieMomma,

Unfortunately, a lot of people are afraid of this breed, but there is always an opportunity to stand out.  As an ex-owner of a Rottweiler (she passed away 3 weeks ago after 13 years together) I heard my clients concerns during the meet and greets about my girl behavior.   I will totally recommend you to find a good citizen certification, is very easy to get, but your dog needs to show basic training commands. 

I did the certification a long time ago, when I arrived in the US, my girl was 2 years old and having that certificate opened my doors, with my landlord, I was able to rent the apartment I wanted and when I bought my house I had access for a discount in the insurance company.  Years later, when I sign up with Rover I noticed that give peace of mind to the customers, I used that as a selling point.  Also, my rottie and I went under military-style training, so the owners saw that during the meet and greet. Using common sense, potential customers saw that I could not have this business without a good friendly dog. 

Another thing that helped me was the senior stage of my Rottie, she was wearing diapers inside the house. So that situation helped me too. Potential clients are not afraid of a dog in diapers, even if is a 100lb dog. 

I would say, that everything is an opportunity, so I think, you have an advantage from the other sitters, you have experience with strong breeds, so used it to your favor. For that, you need to re-write your profile and make it stand out.  As sitters we all have a market, some feel more comfortable hosting small dogs, others we feel more comfortable hosting big dogs. Today I'm the top sitter in my area, so with a lot of work and knowing how to sell yourself, definitely having pitties are not a bad thing for your business.

Please, share your profile, so we can help you out. 

Viviana

PittieMomma
Dog fanatic

Thank you for all of your advice, I really appreciate it. I have changed their names in my profile adding words that describe their personality and modified their profile details as well as mine to let owners know that they are very loving and friendly with ALL dogs particularly puppies and small dogs. I hope this helps. I would hate for them to be excluded because they are truly the best dogs and neither one would hurt a fly.

0 Kudos
PittieMomma
Dog fanatic

Viviana, How do I share my profile??

0 Kudos
VivianaR
Champ

You can open your profile in your browser,  copy the URL and paste it here in the message section. 

V.

0 Kudos
PittieMomma
Dog fanatic

0 Kudos

I would definatly post lots of pictures with your pitbull with other dogs. It makes me sad that pit bulls get such a bad wrap when they were bred to be nanny dogs. To watch children. They really are wonderful dogs. My best friend of only 4 years was a beautiful blue brindle pit bull. He beautiful blue stripes, blue face, blue eyes and a blue tail with a white horseshoe on his chest. Unfortunately he had a genetic problem and passed away before he should of. :( he wouldn't have hurt a fly. Best of luck to you in your business and your dogs are beautiful. :) 

0 Kudos