cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rover on-demand walking is expanding to Washington, DC!

This week, we rolled out on-demand walking in Washington, DC, making it our 8th market to offer on-demand walking as a service to sitters and owners. 

If you're an existing walker or sitter, on-demand is a great service for you to consider offering as it will help you quickly build and grow your business. In on-demand, sitters and owners are automatically paired together as requests come in so some sitters find that they can be more efficient with scheduling walks.  Sitters who offer on-demand bring home $12 per 30-minute walk, $18 per 60-minute walk, and $3 per additional dog.  Additionally, clients acquired via on-demand can easily be re-booked on all other Rover services. 

At the same time, we realize that on-demand isn't a fit for everyone - know that you are still free to offer traditional dog walking, on-demand dog walking, or both!

Are you located in DC and interested in learning more?  You can read more about on-demand as well as certification requirements here.  

Labels (1)
5 Replies
mpou
Dog fanatic

Re: Rover on-demand walking is expanding to Washington, DC!

I wonder when this is going to come to the Dallas/DFW areas.

0 Kudos
WaltG
Top dog

@AndreaH   Little information is contained in this forum, in the old Q&A forum, the Rover Facebook page or sponsored groups, or in the Rover help section about the on-demand program.

What is the acceptance policy?  

If you are already an experienced walker do you have to qualify?

What is the harness test?  

What if you prefer to use your own leashes vs. the clients - this is my 100% golden rule

How does the App work to find clients looking for walks?

How do you set the service area?  Is it your default in your profile?

Is the Wash DC roll out confined to DC or are the MD and VA suburbs included?

Thanks

Walt

0 Kudos

Thanks for the questions, @WaltG

In regards to the On-Demand walking questions:

What is the acceptance policy?  

In addition to completing a normal sitter profile, walkers also need to get certified in order to participate in booking On-Demand walks. The certification process includes:

1. Three Online lessons (harness & collars + app navigation + safety tips) & Quizzes on each -  
2. In-person harness test held in the applicant's city  

If you are already an experienced walker do you have to qualify?

Yes, every walker must undergo the same process in order to qualify to provide On-Demand walks. 

What is the harness test?  

The harness test is an in-person test. Walkers are expected to demonstrate that they can properly secure and use each of the 5 most common types of harnesses & collars that are covered in the online lessons. They are also expected to demonstrate knowledge of the Rover Card feature of the app, a key component of successfully fulfilling a walk.

How does the App work to find clients looking for walks?

Once you're an approved on-demand walker, you be able to view the "Requests" tab in the app. You'll find a list of available walks all over the city. Click into any walk in the requests tab to see details about the dog, and owner expectations. Book it all through the app. Rover will also send you text message notifications about walk requests that are near your home.

How do you set the service area?  Is it your default in your profile?

Rover will send you push notifications that are near your home address as set in your Rover profile. However, on-demand walkers are free to grab walks anywhere in their city by looking at the Requests tab.

Is the Wash DC roll out confined to DC or are the MD and VA suburbs included?

On-Demand is available in Washington, DC & p of Arlington & Alexandria. 

What if you prefer to use your own leashes vs. the clients - this is my 100% golden rule

Walkers are required to use the equipment provided by the dog Owner.

0 Kudos
WaltG
Top dog

@Bea  Thanks for the reply.

I'm just outside the area so I guess I'll have to wait!!   

And I'm sorry to hear you have to use the client's gear, in my experience I've found the client's gear to be ill-fitting and never easy to use and too many have the dreaded retractable's - Ugh!!

One last question - those approved do they get a badge on their profile?

0 Kudos

@WaltG

Hi Walt!

At this moment, there is no badge for On-Demand. Thanks for the feedback though--sending it over to the team!