cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiries Without Reservation Request

I miss the feature we had with Dog Vacay that allowed clients to ask us questions without having to make a reservation request so my pending reservation requests page would be easier to navigate. I realize Rover encourages clients to contact a few sitters before deciding, and that leaves the pending requests page pretty full sometimes. If clients had the opportunity to reach out to a couple sitters before deciding who they want to make the actual reservation with it would make things easier. I have archived so many request for "Owner Didn't Resond". Also, it causes issues with people who book far in advance and they don't want to pay until the time is closer. I've had reservation request stay in my pending requests page for over a month a few times because of that. And lastly some request come in that it's clear that the person didn't read my profile, or thought that it didn't apply to them. I'm available from 7 AM to 10 PM every day and I think that is very reasonable. Yet, I have turned down two request this week where they wanted times I won't be available. If there could be a separate page for just inquires, it would make things easier to keep up with.

8 Replies
dlauritz1
Dog fanatic

Re: Inquiries Without Reservation Request

I agree, that was a great vacay provision, there were several great things that vacay utilized.  I have talked with Rover about implementing some of these things.  Who knows!

The other issue which is impacted by this particular issue on  Rover is that an incomplete reservation request impacts your overall stats which then serves to drop you further down on the listing board.  I know I have problems with this when I go to clean out my pending file.  Those unresponsive, past the date on the request as well as cancelled requests...I will take a day every week and just knocked them out...the next day I go from slot umber 4 to 8, 9 or 10 for example.

In the meantime...what really helps, which vacay also had, was notifying us when the client booked with another sitter.  This way it did not matter if the pending status continued for a month or so....you knew it was still open for the most part because of client indecision or cancelled vacation.  It would also not serve to impact your board stats at all.  If the client goes with another sitter, it has nothing to do with you.

I have asked for this provision to be added as well

DanielaMKE
Dog fanatic

Do you find that clients will message you with ONLY questions? That's the only way making inquiries would make sense for me, and I haven't had that situation (but I'm sure some have).

0 Kudos
TheDogFather
Dog fanatic

Hi Houndhelper, 

I completely agree that clients should be able to reach out to us before any bookings are even pending. But since they can't unfortunately we have to deal with each one and hope for the best. If you archive with the reasons of anything other than you just don't want to book the dog it should not affect your booking score at all. I get quite a few bookings outside of my radius because they have not read my profile  and Rover has assured me that archiving these will not affect my booking  score. I have had to contact Rover about this as my numbers were not where they should have been and they rectified that for me. People who book in advance and sit in your pending section, reach out to them and make sure they are still interested. After the meet and greet I usually go ahead and tell them I'm going to book it and that they may actually pay at their leisure but I do Reach Out later to make sure they are still booking with me.

Best of luck!

Zambinina
Dog fanatic

I have been a sitter on Rover.com for almost 4 years, and have to admit that this issue frustrates me to no end. Sitters are encouraged to book as many sits as possible (that match their criteria), and turning down too many sits will impact their search ranking. Unfortunately, many potential clients do not read the sitters' profiles before sending requests. I recently began accepting new clients again, and out of the first four requests I received, two of them asked me what my name was (really?), one accidentally messaged me when they meant to message another sitter, and the fourth did not respond- even though I replied in a matter of minutes (although I've found that this is quite common).

It would help SO much if potential clients could send messages to Rover.com sitters WITHOUT formally requesting a sit. I feel that the current system encourages sitters to accept sits that they may not necessarily be comfortable with. For example, I do not accept certain breeds due to issues I've had in the past. I cannot accept dogs that are highly energetic because one of my dogs has hip dysplasia, and can't be around dogs that play too rough. There is a LOT to talk about when accepting and getting to know a new client and their dog. Just because a dog is within your preferred weight range, gets along with your cat, and likes children doesn't mean she is a good fit. And this shouldn't count against the sitter. Safety should be the first priority!

In the past, I have always felt comfortable offering constructive criticism to the Rover.com team, as they have done the same for me. I think "alternative" messaging is a great idea, and would love to see this introduced to the site.

rbflora
Dog fanatic

We agree it would be nice to have a place where we could put drop of and pickup times between?  Also would be nice if clients could just have a place to request a meet and greet instead of having to put in for a reservation. We require a meet and greet before we accept a new pup and it would be nice to have in archives to saying reason for archiving clients were not interested in meet and greet.

kandice
Dog fanatic

Yes!  This would be helpful.

I have a very detailed profile page about what sort of dog will do best in my home, but often people send requests, without paying attention to this description OR they are hoping I will make an exception for their dog. 

Also, I frequently get requests from people who use the wrong date or a "fake date" since my calendar is booked on the date they want, they will then find a date I'm available and send a request, but then in the request they will tell me the date they really want (which I'm not available).

And then, less frequently, I've had past clients create a stay request to wish me Happy New Year, to let me know they have had a big life event - like a new baby, or that they are moving or to let me know their dog has died.  

Meanwhile, all of these things impact the search results.

didia
Dog fanatic

Absolutely agree with this. A lot of dog owners they just want to inquire but have to send a request. And they have no idea that there are such things as performance scores and when we have to archive that booking, it affects us negatively!! 

Dana
Dog fanatic

I agree 100%.  I've had the same issues as all of the previous replies to this thread.   I also don't like that if I am not the last response on a thread with a client, it alters my response time. 

One other thing that concerns me.  I do my very best to respond within a few minutes, when a client or potential new client sends a reservation/message late night after I've gone to bed, I don't respond until the next morning, I don't want it to alter my response time.

0 Kudos