cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Advice for new sitters on providing 5-star service?

Question for all of you experienced sitters today - What advice would you give to a new sitter who has just accepted their first booking request on how to best provide 5-star service to owners? 

23 Replies
Derek
Champ

Re: Advice for new sitters on providing 5-star service?

Honesty, communication... updates and pics!

I personally try to get a feel of the owner. Some want lots of pictures and updates, others don't. So far I've had picture loving people with 1 exception and I sent her less than my normal amount of updates and pics. I could tell she was stressed and needed some "me" time so I got the hint and only sent important things like: how they were adjusting to being in a new place, how they slept, and if they pottied on our walks. The client I finished up with today wasn't very communicative but she requested pics from the start so off they went!

OldDesertGal
Dog fanatic

I always leave a Thank You card noting my appreciation for the opportunity to sit for them. I leave my business card in it and I will ask for feedback (review) to better serve them in the future.

Agree on the importance of communication. It's important to pay attention to speration anxiety for dogs and their owners :) If I notice an owner seems particularly nervous, I will make sure to send them an update within 30 minutes of them dropping off the dog. It seems to help calm their worries and set the tone for the stay. 

I also try to be adaptive in finding ways to spoil my Rover dogs. For one dog it may be setting up a pile of blankets in his favorite sun beam, or making some tasty homemade dog treats. For another it might be finding a long hiking trail that will let them burn all their energy. Owners will appreciate you going the extra mile! 

Phill
Rover employee

There's a number of things that you can do that are owner and dog specific. One thing that I feel that I have a knack for is doggy portraits! If the owner likes getting pictures I go all out. I catch the good poses, cuddle time, or their pup doing silly things. The other key is to have fun with it. Don't think of it as another thing that you "have" to do, ENJOY IT! 

Honesty and communication is key.

Tiggity23
Dog fanatic

Be yourself be honest and have fun. Show them that their pet is one of yours and that they have nothing to fear or worry about

taylorwilke588
Dog fanatic

Honesty, communication... updates and pics!

And what went well and what didn’t and if they played or didn’t and other stuff like that 

tinawissner
Dog fanatic

Meet with the owner BEFORE the service begins:) My owner was SO GRATEFUL!