cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LyndaH
Dog fanatic

Re: Advice for new sitters on providing 5-star service?

Genuinely enjoy and love the pets you sit for.  Let the photos and remarks you send to the pet parents reflect the fact that you are paying attention to their pet's needs and personality.  As much as possible, stick to the schedule agreed upon, be on time.  Give the pet affection and attention generously.  Have great respect for the home of the pet parents.  Leave everything clean and orderly.  During a house sit, leave the bed made up, dishes washed, floor swept.  Wipe down the shower when you leave.  Let the pet parents come home to find their pet's bowls clean and full of fresh food and water.  Respect the privacy of the owner's belongings.  For example:  once I had to go through the owner's kitchen drawers to find a pair of scissors.  Their pet had a matted spot on his fur and he had licked the area raw.  I needed to cut the matted area.  I let owner's know when I have to look for something.  I treat the pets and homes in my care as my own.   

I agree with everything in this thread so far I would only add to make sure you stay positive instead of saying "(Rover) wasn't very active today" say "(Rover) and I had a very relaxing day today" remember that tone of voice doesn't transfer of text so what sounds like a neutral statement to you can be read as a negitive 

Lin
Dog fanatic

Communicate with the owner of the dog in time, take care of their dog like our child

Highlighted
Bennyboy2
Dog person

I definitely would provide five star service. Dogs have been my life since I have no kids. I would guve your dog si much affection and love.

Dogmom1
Dog fanatic

Be kind, honest, never take your work for granted..always give 100% 

& never snoop around or touch things that don’t belong to you in people’s home! 

They put all their trust in you 

& you shouldn’t break that trust!

AmyLVT
Dog fanatic

Thanks for the tips! It’s really important to listen and think about how every clients’ needs will be different. I appreciate you reminding me of that!

AmyLVT
Dog fanatic

That is so thoughtful! I love this!

AmyLVT
Dog fanatic

When making your own treats, do you confirm with the owners re allergies, etc. first?

VivianaR
Champ

I agree honest communication is key, you need to talk with the owner about everything about the dog, that way there is no surprises and you as sitter know how to handle it. 

during a meet and greets keep an eye on every detail. How the owner presents himself and the dog, and how the dog behaves to a new environment.  For sitters that offer drop-ins,  and if you see the owners house, check for details can tell you if the dog has anxiety.  You need to be prepared and educated on how to handle animals with anxiety. 

During the stay send a lot of good pictures, no blurry, no bad light,  owners really appreciate a good picture and a video!

Be on time always and discuss food schedules. 

If you feel uncomfortable with something, say it!  if there is something bothering you about the dog behavior is very important to tell the owners, and keep proof.

Offer a little more in your services for free, is like an investment. Do not charge for every extra minute. I've seen some clients bringing their dogs from other sitters that charge for extra minutes.  in my case I have a pond and my clients can get a little bit dirty, so I offer free baths if the dog stays more than one week.  Also, I offer my clients to leave their cars parked in my property when they are traveling out of the country, that way they save money in airport parking.  my clients are very happy and I have return customers.   If that's not your case offer at least a brushed dog.

Give to the owners free stuff (little treat bags, printed pictures). 

Edgar
Dog fanatic

Thank you Guys!!!😀🐶📸🐶