cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PattyS
Dog fanatic

Re: Advice for new sitters on providing 5-star service?

These are ALL great tips!! I haven't had a booking yet, but the tips and advice given here are wonderful and I will definitely implement them when I start getting clients! Thank you!

0 Kudos
PattyS
Dog fanatic

I absolutely love this advice! Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
K9Crazy
Dog fanatic

Follow instructions, be honest, be timely, actively listen to owner's suggestions for what their pet loves, provide that, and stay in touch especially sending pictures of their pets doing what they love. Go the extra mile. 

Riyah_13
Dog fanatic

Communication, honesty. Update owners on how their pets are doing. Give them comfort and  reassurance that their pets are in good hands.

0 Kudos
rtaylor1

Simple. Ask the owner what they expect and want. As many have stated, communication is key. You will likely pick up clues from your clients as well. Some seem to be nervous so you might want to check in early and send pictures to boost your clients confidence. 

0 Kudos
Missybm10
Dog fanatic

To put it simply, communicate if you get the vibe that you aren't bothering them, send lots of photos, and act as though you want to be nominated as the best guest to enter their home by actually caring for the house and the pet parents, not just the pets themselves.

I just got my first amazing review after drop-ins on a cat. I didn't realize that my pricing for cats was the same as dogs 20 per day for a 30 min visit. I feel like that's a lot to go in and pet a cat for 30 minutes, so I really wanted to go above and beyond for them. In addition to the usual - checking the water and feeder, giving the cat affection, I scooped the litter box daily, brought a cat brush and brushed him, brought catnip and treats (after checking with the owner that this was okay to do), and brought a laser pointer to play with him. 

As the "sitter extras" I made sure I brought their mail and packages in (I mentioned before the visits started that I'd be happy to, you never want to touch someone's mail without letting them know), I also offered to turn on and off different lights each visit so it looked like someone was there. My first visit, I noticed that it was recycling and garbage day and offered to take the recycling out. While doing so, I made sure to take the garbage and recycling in the kitchen out and made sure to put new bags in after. Washed up the dishes they left in the sink before they left. Brought the cans back into the garage, and wiped the counters and sink so it was nice and fresh for when they got home. 

Bottom line, is when your client is on vacation they might have forgotten to do some things. Try to make their home better than it was left so they can come home to a refreshing stress free space. 

Always tell them their animals were good even if they are being buttheads. If it's something you can handle they don't need to know. Unless the animal damaged something that they will need to know about. They know their pets and don't need to feel embarrassed that they misbehaved for someone. It's the same as if you were babysitting a child. 

Treat the pets like your own, and treat the home as if you are a guest that they are opening their doors to. As long as you aren't violating their things by rummaging through things or areas you don't need to be in, they will be extremely overwhelmed with your kindness and confident in your ability to be trusted with their home and pets. 

We had a pet sitter stay with our dogs on two occasions, and we came home to a messy house with an odd smell. I wanted to make sure that these pet parents came home to a refreshing space, better than they left it. 

Also, I left a thank you card and a little present for the cat for when they got home. I didn't give it to him myself because I wanted the cat to think the parents got him a little something while they were gone :) that really touched their heart. And cost me less than 3 dollars to make someone smile. Well with it in my opinion. 

0 Kudos
1RebeccA2
Dog person

I haven’t had my first booking yet, but when I do I want to follow your advice by texting pictures of the clients dog on a walk. How do I do that? Is it through the Rover app or the regular way you send a text? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Sammi

Communication is key, but I also feel that if you love what you do, this will reflect to your customers. Paying attention to their fur babies and identifying their individual personalities is important. I always begin my drop ins and walks with a brief message to the customers saying that I’ve arrived, I also take a couple of photos during our visit/walk and ennd my time with a message stating what we did, any experiences we had (ie, what we did, did they go to the washroom) and pictures. 

0 Kudos
Gastaswim

Hi! 

So the best way is to do a great job! During the first meeting make sure to ask the owner about their dog’s habits (how much food you have to feed them for instance), preferences, what the owner wants you to do (rest the dog, make him run ..). Then send them pictures throughout the day/walk/visit because it shows them that you are caring for their pet and that they can trust you. 

0 Kudos