cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious about walking distance..

I have a midday client that I need to release from crate, feed, give water, walk and re-crate.  Actual walking time is about 22 mins and we get a mile in.  Curious on the distance you all get!

6 Replies
TKT
Dog fanatic

Re: Curious about walking distance..

That's a good walk!

I generally let the dog set the speed. Some do a forced march pace and others just want to dawdle, sniff and mark. It took me a while to figure out I didn't necessarily need to make the dog walk if it didn't want to, unless the owner requests exercise being a priority. Some dogs I get a mile or a bit over in 30 minutes, some only go a half mile, some a little more. Having to get inside, out of, and then back into multifloor security buildings cuts that down a little.

Derek
Champ

I agree with @TKT! It definitely goes on a case by case. I used to walk a pack of 4 mini schnauzer’s. The three older ones could walk miles! But the younger one would do one walk around the block and be DONE! He’d literally lay down anywhere he could. So I would walk the first round once around the block (maybe .7mi), drop him off back home and take the other three to the neighborhood park for a bit and back (maybe about 2.5mi total). We would do this twice a day. But this was as part of a house stay, so the walks were about an hour or more. I’d say on average my 30min walks are about half a mile more or less.

Shaynawief
Dog fanatic

Personally I feel like a mile in 22 min is great. If I can keep my miles around 20 min I'm very happy. However, I agree with those who said the dog sets the pace. I love brisk walks but hey, a lot of dogs just want to go sniff haha. I've recently added it to my list of things to ask owners though. 

Highlighted

I walk my boarding stays every morning but I have to say it's a good thing I don't do dog walking as a service.  My guest dogs and my dog spend more time sniffing, marking and doing their business...even if they did it in the backyard before we left.  I don't think our route is even close to a mile but it is through the residential neighborhood.  The last half of our walk, I won't let them stop to sniff, we pick up the pace and I think they enjoy that.  But, it does take us 20 to 30 minutes. 

feliciaw
Dog fanatic

So far all of my walks have been pups that want to walk, and since they see I don't tolerate pulling (walks are training focused and I have a bad shoulder injury that I can't allow to be jerked), they all tend to fall into a good pace right next to me with just the necessary stops for potty breaks or pets. Even with my client on the top floor that needs to be crated, my 30 min walks average 1.1-1.4 miles. 

cmbays
Champ

What a terrific question! I always thought it would be interesting if Rover would have an analytics dashboard where you could see your walking distance disribution, averages walks for each day of week, and distance from owner home distribution!  For me my walking distance ranges from 1-2 miles typically with an average of 1.2 miles.