cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Top dog

Do you accept Marking dogs?

An informal survey:

Do you accept dogs who tend to mark?

Since I do not and the sitters who I know best also don't, I'd especially like to know if any sitters who live in Orange County do. If you live in OC and do, please post your profile link.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Top dog

Re: Do you accept Marking dogs?

Many dogs will mark when first introduced to a new environment and marking has nothing to do with house training.   So if you ask a client at the M&G about house training and they will answer yes, but when the dog gets in your home all hell breaks loose. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Top dog

Agreed.  I am not willing to endure marking behavior in my home. Sitters I know best will not accomodate marking dogs either. Rover customer support doesn't have a filter for "Accepts Marking Dogs", so the only way to know who will is to read every profile (if that is even written into the profile). Thus, the reason I posted my question.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Top dog

To be clear, the Marking Dogs I've and other nearby sitters met, don't just do it once and done. It continues during the entire time, marking repeatedly, they're in the new environment/sitter's home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Champ

I absolutely do not accept markers.  It is in my profile that dogs must be housetrained, and that includes marking.

I had a recent bad experience with a deceitful owner.  Despite my profile info she agreed to the Meet and Greet, and said that he was housetrained.  When she dropped him off she said 'oh he's having a little relapse on his house training'.  What she should have said was, 'he lifts his leg every chance he gets to mark on something, even where another dog has never been'. I had to make arrangements to put him with another Rover Sitter who could accommodate the little fiend.

I have boarded many male dogs, and yes, one will occasionally hike their leg at MnG, and/or when they first get here for boarding.  It's kind of like a 'christening' of sorts, lol.  After that, though, they don't do it any more.

Although marking and urinating are two separate things, they are both behaviors that the dog is fully capable of restraining from acting on in-home.  I thereby see no real reason why any owner should think I would accept a dog that marks when I won't accept one that's not housetrained.

0 Kudos