cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
STMBear
Dog fanatic

House Sitting 12 hours or MORE?

I started house sitting from 7PM to 7AM because that is what the person asked for.  Since then I have had clients expect my housesitting to be 24 hours.  How do I set up my services to make this clear and save my potential clients time with trying to book me?  

And are there any plans to make house sitting part of the ap?  How do my clients know I am actually there?  If I am dog walking, it tracks my every move.

I am also surprised how low some people are charging for house sitting on Rover.....only $20.  I guess everyones needs are different, but baby sitters get that much for just an hour.  Frustrating.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OCdogcare
Top dog

Re: House Sitting 12 hours or MORE?

I completely agree that some sitters set their prices far too low. I never competed on price.

Rover's guidelines state that the house sitting rate is for up to 24 hours and that the pet owner and sitter are free to agree upon what works best for them. With that flexibility, there are many different approaches to pet sitting. Some sitters view & price it as an all inclusive rate for 24 hours. Some sitters will stay most if not all the time, while others will use the pet's house as their base and may come and go (which there are many variations - some  like you have other committments and are there early evening, overnight, through morning; some are also there during some of the day and/or returning for daytime walk(s). If you're going to pet sit, do yourself a favor and don't calculate the hourly rate. It must be because everyone knows caring for dogs is a million times better than babies because it's unusual to find anyone willing to pay $20/hour x 24+ hour period (=$480/each 24 hours) for a dog.

The best way to save your & potential client's time is to add what you will provide to your profile and when you receive an inquiry again mention what time period is covered.

I don't know if House sitting, or Boarding for that matter, will become part of the app. I'd hope not. Although I understand why that change was made with Rover walks a couple of years ago, which aligned with the competitors, I really don't think it's safe or appropriate for a walker's/sitter's every move to be tracked.

0 Kudos
OCdogcare
Top dog

Re: House Sitting 12 hours or MORE?

Clients will know if you're there if you send photo updates of their pets in their neighbohood or home, if they have any monitoring device on the entrance/exit door, if they have any cameras positioned inside the home-usually wherever the dogs spent most of the day, and/or neighbors/friends watching for sitter activity at or near the home.

0 Kudos