cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cardenas18
Dog fanatic

House sitting and safety advice?

Hi, I am totally new to rover, but I am doing a meet and greet tomorrow for house sitting. Here's my question/concern: Rover does background checks on us and assures safety to those seeking services, BUT when I looked at the clients profile-there is no picture of any information about her. There's two pictures of the dogs, but that's it. I'm a female and see safety issues with this unless Rover does have some background  info that maybe im just over looking? Any Advice? What reassurance does Rover offer that the experience is safe for BOTH parties? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OCdogcare
Champ

Re: House sitting and safety advice?

My understanding is that Rover does not in any way background check a client (they only request name, address, email and credit card payment), so each sitter needs to take safety precautions.

First, prior to agreeing to a meet & greet, you may want to ask more questions, to help determine if you think it's a possible match (and worth your time doind a m&g). Before a m&g, ask a friend or family member to check in with you via phone at a pre-designated time (maybe 45 minutes after m&g start time). At the m&g, always meet in a publicly visible space, such as sidewalk or grassy area and while you get to know the dog(s) outside, continue asking your remaining questions and follow your instinct whether or not to go inside a home. M&Gs that are not a match often end outside. 

Cardenas18
Dog fanatic

Thank you so much for your response. The client I meet with had no profile picture and address given was a apartment complex-which raised red flags to me considering the dogs profiled were a large boxer and a large pitt. I did end up doing a meet and greet at a near by resteraunt and luckily she was the individual she presented. She wasn’t a creepy guy lol.. Meet and greet went really well and I accepted my first home sitting booking. I’m excited. I really appreciate all advice and insight. I am not a know it at and KNOW I can always learn something new, so I truly do appreciate everyone’s insight and experiences. :) 

Laurenflint
Dog fanatic

Hey there! I’m new too and my first client reached out with no pictures and little info on the profile. They booked right away without asking any follow ups or giving me a change to arrange a meet and greet. I then asked if we could meet first at a local Starbucks and she agreed but told me to come to her house instead. I would feel more comfortable if River made the clients fill out full profiles like they do the sitters. We want to feel safe also. I called rover and shared my concerns about the client and they said “it’s common for clients to have no pictures they just don’t want to take the time to do it.” Well that’s not giving me peace of mind. If they don’t want to take the time to put a picture so the sitter feels somewhat  safe maybe it’s not worth it? I took extensive time filling out a profile and got a background check, the security should go both ways.  I’m not sure I’m comfortable with it and considering cancelling all together. Any advice/suggestions?! Am I being overly paranoid? 

Tags (1)
OCdogcare
Champ

It's not being paranoid to consider your own safety. It seems most users of the site are looking for pet care. Look at the messaging system as a game of ping pong, chess, or any other two player exchange.

The system isn't set up for them to just request a meet & greet or send a message without sending a booking request. After the pet parent sends a request, you ask what you'd like to know (generally it's recommended to Not accept or book the request immediately), they'll answer your questions, ... and it goes back and forth until both parties are comfortable. It's highly recommended to set up a meet & greet before clicking Book it Now.