Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajl
Dog fanatic

Important Question About Bookings!

Hi Rover Community!

I have a quick question about booking requests —

When people send you a request, do they usually add a personalized message to greet you and ask you about taking care of their dog or your services?

Or do the requests usually look standard like this: 

“Will you be available to sit ______ on August 15-17?”

I just want to be careful and avoid scams.

Thank you so much!

4 Replies
Highlighted
OCdogcare
Top dog

Re: Important Question About Bookings!

It's common to see both.

A personalized message is often sent by the owner, including details.

Rover also sends auto generated ones that may appear at the same time, and later, to prompt a response from a sitter.

Scams are often easily seen by people that want to pay you cash (although some real customers may offer too and the sitter needs to explain that's a violation of terms of service which will lead to accounts being suspended/ended and not an option) or want to send you a check for you to deposit and then spend money/send money out of, in which case I've heard the check will bounce at your bank after deposited, or people who word things in a wierd way (I'm  not referring to English as a second language) and immediately want to take the discussion to some other email platform. Some real customers may prefer to talk over the phone (in which case they can call you on your anonymous rover number that they see which re-routes to your number), but there really is no reason that benefits a sitter to exchange written messages elsewhere. By keeping written communications on rover, they can review them and support you if you need help later.

ajl
Dog fanatic

@OCdogcare 

Thank you so much for your response! It's all noted and helpful. I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Dogmomma
Dog fanatic

I did the advertising suggestion about putting information on Craig's List.  I have been on Rover.com for a month now and had my first inquiry yesterday.  He wanted me to call but since he originally spoke Spanish, I kept the conversation thru email and suggested he complete the 5 day booking on Rover.com and gave him my promo code to save him money on his first booking.  He hasn't booked but didn't ask how much.  I have $12 set up as the rate but with 2 dogs told him $15 each visit.  Not sure if that was too much for him or he was trying to get my number by asking me to call.

0 Kudos
OCdogcare
Top dog

@Dogmomma 

My hunch is he contacted many sitters/walkers. It may have nothing to do with the rate you gave or his request to talk on the phone. It seems most likely that if he found someone who spoke his primary language, he'd book with them.

You can keep your phone number private by having potential clients call you on the Rover assigned "Private Rover Number", which you can adjust preferenced for in your Settings*, and the prospective client will see the number when they go to your profile. They can call the number shown to them (supposively each client is given different number) which re-routes to your actual number, without them knowing your number.

Settings for Rover Private Number states:

Rover numbers allow you to book services without sharing your real phone number. When would you like to be contacted on your rover number?

0 Kudos