cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CindyG
Champ

Make That Profile Work For You!

This is a follow-up to my previous post addressed to all those Rover sitters who are not finding the requests coming in like they thought.  That previous post has some great info.  But I thought I'd post a little "Profile Self-Check" - to see if you're rocking the profile, or wrecking your business.  :)  Some key points:

First Impressions Count!  You've got to get client's attention while they are scrolling through a list of sitters looking for 'the one'.  If you are not appealing at first glance, they won't even click your name to find out more.  These tips are helpful:

Profile photo – The very first thing potential clients look at.  Is your pic smiling, welcoming?  Do you look like a pro or a problem?  This is not the time for serious looks, duck faces, out of focus or unflattering photos.  A smiling, quality pic of you goes a long way.  And if you are holding a cute pup too, even better!

Testimonials (Reviews from friends/family) Do you have these?  How many?  Will those testimonials make you sound like a competent sitter?  And, no testimonials is like an anchor around your neck.  People need some reassurance you know what you're doing.

Rover 101 badge - have you taken the quiz to get the badge?  DO it.

Quality pics, relevant to business? Your photo gallery should ideally have a pic or two of you, with dogs even better.  Pics of a variety of dogs is great too.  Avoid blurry, low quality pics.  Leave the glamor shot poses in your phone.  

Tagline: Is it unique?  Do you have the same basic phrase about loving dogs?  Use the tagline to grab people's attention.  Do you have a specialty?  Why are you different?

Variety of services offered?  Interest may be greatly diminished depending on what you offer, in what area.

Pricing competitive? Did you look at what sitters in your area are charging on Rover?  You don't want to charge too little, but if you're asking prices higher than the local popular Rover sitters, you won't do well.

Availability..Are you available when people need a sitter?  If you only do daycare on weekends, you may have a problem, as walkers are primarily needed during the week.  

Profile Info – IF you get people to actually read your profile, then it needs to be spotless.  Professional.  Well-written.  Typo free.  Relevant.  Look at the profile info of established sitters in your area to get ideas.

Lastly, do a sitter search on Rover for your area.  If you don't see a lot of sitters, or the ones on there have few to no actual reviews, it could be Rover is not used a lot in your area by dog owners.  If that's the case, some heavy marketing by you to get the word out could really bring in some business, as you won't have much competition  :)

6 Replies
Highlighted
Liz
Dog fanatic

Re: Make That Profile Work For You!

Alvaro3m
Dog fanatic

Hi! I'm new to Rover and I'm excited about the possibilities it provides. I know it may take some time to get my first client but I want to make sure my profile is presentable in order to book my first one. Please let me know any recommendations or suggestions as to how to improve it. Thank you! :)

https://www.rover.com/members/alvaro-m-miss-my-dog-let-me-care-for-yours/

0 Kudos
CindyG
Champ

Liz,

A few things.

Your sitter price is way high for your area.  When you're new to Rover you have to be competitive until you're etablished.  This is perhaps your biggest negative, as you showed up in Page 1 results.  I think if you lowered your prices you would gain new clients, and get that 5 star review.

Your tag line is reassuring, but those are qualities a client would expect from a sitter.  What makes you stand out?  

Do some strategic rewording of your profile.  Talk about what you have done not what you plan to do.  Statements about loving dogs are nice, but that's not really a selling point it's expected.  Your profile is like a resume..use it well!

Love the profile pic, hang in there!  I'm 6 months in, and loving it!

CindyG
Champ

Alvaro,

You've got a tough competitive area!  Getting established can be a lot tougher.

A couple of things:

You're overpriced for someone who's trying to get into a competitive area.  Do searches for sitters in your area that are offering sitting, don't be near the highest.

Your tagline - use it to make you stand out from the others.  What will catch a client's eye?

Your photos - these should give people reassurance you've been around dogs.  Add pics of you and dogs.  Remove selfies/solo shots.

Hope this helps - I'm 6 months in and loving it!

0 Kudos
CindyG
Champ

PLEASE READ BELOW (FROM OP)

Hi, thanks to all who have read my thread!  I was surprised at the number of responses.  I won't be answering any more personal requests, so I would like to suggest two things:

1.  Read the contents of my post above thoroughly.  Then, apply the suggestions as needed.  Note, so far, pretty much all of the questions were covered in the post.  

2.  Join the rover.com Sitters Group  Facebook page.  There is far more activity there, you will receive almost instant responses to your questions.

Thanks again!

Alvaro3m
Dog fanatic

Thank you so much, Cindy! I greatly appreciate all your help and suggestions. I'm still navigating not only being new to a city but starting on Rover and attaining clients. I'll make sure to apply your suggestions! :)