cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KimH
Dog fanatic

Re: Meet and Greet Exit's

My husband and I call them "lingerers" haha. My meetings usually end with me having them fill out their contact info in case of emergencies and giving them a general wrap up of all that we discussed. I ask them if they have used Rover before, and if not I explain how it works. Asking them if they have any remaining questions while I walk toward the door/gate is usually a hint that the meet and greet is over. With that said, however, sometimes you just get people who are chatty or have the day off and genuinely enjoy your company (which is a good thing) and watching their dog play with your dogs. If it does happen to overlap I am to the point and kindly let them know I have an appointment soon approaching and that if they have any more questions to call or message. 

Most "lingerers" are first-timers and generally nervous so they may not pick up on social cues. Over time I've noticed that these are the best kind of owners as they've stayed long enough to feel comfortable, and are not as anxious once their dog is in your care. 

When the customer and I schedule the meet & greet, I send them a reminder the day before, to bring the vaccination records for my view and let them know the meet & greet takes 15 to 20 minutes. 

Upon arrival, I meet them & the pup(s) at the door, take the owner and dog(s) out to my backyard, keeping dogs leashed I open the gate and show the 2 acre greenbelt for hot weather, short morning walks.  Then I close & lock the gate and have the owner let the dog(s) off the leash to trot around and sniff as I start to go through things but closely observe the dogs and owner.  I also take a minute to coo over their sweetie. After we go inside, I start going through the forms.  It's all "Business" from here on and I keep it moving.

I have the information sheet (2 pages) for the customer to take home to fill out.  I also have 1 page with what to bring, what not to bring, a.m. p.m. pickup/drop, boarding based on 24 hr per day, day care based on 8-10hrs, extra charges (stays picked up 1 hr or more later than agreed or extend if can't pick up by x time), etc. 

The next page is a list of my walks, process & procedures, in case of emergency, etc.  My rover card (promo code) and last 2 pages are stapled together for the customer to keep. 

I go through Each page, line by line.  (I have it memorized so it doesn't take long). I get info. about the (dogs) by quickly going through the information sheet the owner takes home, fills out and brings back at the time of drop. If new to rover, I ask them to add vet info, vaccinations & dates, feeding, etc. to their dog profile.

Having the information sheet memorized, giving a little info about kennel cough vaccination, keeping dogs cool in hot weather, knowing where they are at in the house & outside, makes me look professional.  I do make it clear I am Not a vet tech and don't give injections!

Usually, 5 minutes into the meet & greet I already know if the dog OR owner would be a good fit or not.  If not a good fit or a gut feeling, I explain their dog would be a better fit...and to contact rover match at.... Customers that are very excited and impressed, go home and book immediately turn into my best, repeat customers.  Of course, I let them know spaces are limited and I book up very quickly...so if they are interested... That also helps get them out the door.  But sometime if they get chatty, I look at the clock and say, I have another appointment coming so please send me a message if you have any questions when you home.   

0 Kudos

I once had a 2 hour meet and greet. The client gave me the best review I've had so far so it was worth it. But now I try to keep them much briefer. I used to spend a lot of time introducing the M & G dog to all the dogs here. Now I put the dogs inside during a M & G, except for one or two who never have issues with anyone if they are still outside after I round up the other dogs.

0 Kudos
rbflora
Dog fanatic

I do pretty much the same. I always tell them when we sit up the m&g that it will be for about 30 min.  After I feel we should be done I ask if they have any other questions and then tell them it was nice meeting them and the pup and stand up and thank them for coming and start to the door. As we are moving towards door I tell them they are welcome to text or call if they have any furthur questions. Works great.

0 Kudos
rbflora
Dog fanatic

I do the same and I have it all in a notebook for future info. Like feeding schedule and amounts of food.  Any fears a pup may have, contacts, address, (which helps when I send cards, or thank you's ect). Really helps me be organized and aware of each pup. Especially for those who may just come a couple of times a year.

0 Kudos
cmbays
Champ

I agree Meet & Greets should have a scheduled time start and end. This gives the owner's a polite reminder that the sitter has other things to take care of after the meet & greet. 

When the meet and greet is at a natural ending point I ask if there are any other questions get through all of them and thank them for their time and lead them out the door.

0 Kudos
reubling
Dog person

Hi! 

Woukd yiu be willing to share the paperwork you use/give to the owners? I would really like to see it, so I can work on creating something similar!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
reubling
Dog person

Would you mind sharing with me the paperwork you use? 

0 Kudos
reubling
Dog person

0 Kudos
Mercy
Champ

Sure I actually have switch to Google docs if you want to send me your email to Furryfriend2Home@gmail.com  and just let me know what you’re looking for I’ll be happy to send you the links. 

0 Kudos