cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel
Dog fanatic

Meet and Greet Exit's

So here's what I really really need advise on. 

I've always had the hardest time getting people to leave after our meet and greet is over.  One guest, (now client) stayed an entire hour.  I'm never rude, I've never asked anyone to leave, I did invite someone for lunch and tea once, but never leave.   I have used the "Well that's the end of the tour" whilst walking towards the door, routine however that doesn't always work either...   Anyone else have this problem?  and how do you handle it.

19 Replies
Flowseidon69
Dog fanatic

Re: Meet and Greet Exit's

I've also had clients stay for close to two hours before prior to leaving, which really interferes with just about everything.

I try to have company over and/or be in the process of cooking when they arrive. 

If I can get a guest to be sitting down and eating or plating food during the walkthrough, they usually get the hint. Hit or miss though, some people just don't seem to recognize they should go. 

Setting an end point in advance can help as well. I, being somewhat of a fanatic, will tell people what time the hockey game starts. Ill let them know theyre welcome to stay but at that time Ill be watching hockey and the meet and greet will be over, and that seems to always work.

brianasdogvacay
Dog fanatic

I usually schedule my meet & greets in half hour time slots.  So if my first meet & greet starts to go over my doorbell rings and the next meet & greet is at the door. This seems like the best way to reduce the time of my meet & greets, so that I only might have to make an excuse on the last meet & greet for day so that it doesn't run over. I also try to just have one or two days for meet & greets so that it doesn't ruin the whole week.

gwennftmyers
Dog fanatic

We have cared for over 230 different dogs & have had MANY m & Gs. I learned this from a fellow sitter. I tell the client in advance it should take about 30 minutes. When it's coming to a close I say"I think you've answered all my questions. Do you have any more for me"? They ask 1 more or say no. Then I stand up, thank them for coming & walk them to the door. Works every time!

TimD
Champ

Our meet & greets usually are no longer than 15 -20 mins tops.  There simply is not enough info to fill a longer time.  When the the convo slows, it’s simply time to move on as we have other appointments and daily life routines to complete.  It doesn’t hurt to say, just courage to say it. 

Everyone has things to do, and all should remember, this is business.  Keep it moving. 😉

good luck! 🍀

DogPalacebyJess
Dog person

Whoa! Two hours???? Mine take 15 minutes tops. It helps to have a list of questions to go through, which ends with "Do you have any questions for me?" If they don't, I finish with, "We're all set to book, go ahead and confirm on the app and I'll confirm on my end as soon as that comes through." I don't know if there's an option for private messages on here, but if there is, DM me and I'll send you my list of questions and general protocol. I've been doing this for 7+ years and have nearly 200 5 star reviews on Rover, so I can definitely offer you some pointers. I understand building trust with your clients, but a super long meet and greet is not a great experience for everyone involved (dogs included!). 

VivianaR
Champ

Hi Daniel,

After having experiences with owners staying for 2 hours I learned to guide the owner.  at the end of the meet and greet I always say "well, thank you so much for coming over today" 

Usually they get the hint. 

I want to add, that I have my program to guide the owners throught the meet and greet 

-greet the owner

-Introduce myself

-ask the owner to open his door and let the dog out

-show them my property (I have a 3acre property, so the meet and greet is most of the time outside)

and getting to know the owner and the dog in question.  Answering questions.

-show them a small part of my house 

and guide them through the exit and start walking to the car.

This way I don't let the owners stay too much inside of my house for too long.

Viviana

0 Kudos
Mercy
Champ

Oh the long meet and greets LOL if I am not super busy and someone needs an extra hand holding or some extra time I try to get it to them when it’s necessary. Most times my meet and greets are about 20 minutes long but to be honest some of the meet and greets that have taken are some of my best clients.  You want to set up a rapport with your clients or potential clients So they feel 100% comfortable leaving the dog with you and you feel comfortable with their dog as well.  I have found that the owners that are rushing to get out either a won’t book with you or they’re trying not to let you see the bad behavior of their dog. Sometimes just because they’re in a hurry but I have found that the more time I spend with a dog before they come over to stay the smoother the visit goes.

That being said two hours a very long time LOL I routinely have people here for 45 minutes to an hour. And if it’s running for  longer than that I do try to encourage the potential client to wrap it up by asking if they have anymore questions for me for leading them back inside for handing them paperwork I need them to fill out that’s always a big closer :-) 

0 Kudos
VivianaR
Champ

Hi Mercy, 

You mentioned " leading them back inside for handing them paperwork"

What kind of paperwork you make them to sign? 

Highlighted
Mercy
Champ

Oh just emergency contact information and more information about the dogs. I find that It helps to have any important information about their dog say if they don’t like bikes or how much food to eat and what kind, anything I could think of really on paper which gets digitalized so I can pull it up and double  check things especially if they’ve been here once two months ago LOL or they do a meet and greet and then don’t have the stay for two or three weeks. I’ve been doing this almost 3 years now and I’ll have guessed that but a year ago and it’s so helpful for me to be able to just pull up that information. Because let’s face it a lot of people don’t take time to fill the information out online with Rover but I make it a stipulation for them to stay here that I have to have the paperwork completed.