cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Firechik
Dog fanatic

*Multidog Discount**

I offer 10% off for multidog vacays. Several times I have been asked can I do better. What do you guys offer for mutipet discounts?

19 Replies
Joywolf83
Dog fanatic

Re: *Multidog Discount**

For boarding I subtract $10.

I don't go too crazy with the discounts because then people always expect it. I find more people appreciate it, if it's random and surprising. I much rather have them be happy that they're getting a "deal". 

If they ask for one, they're definitely not getting anything! They should understand my pricing is my pricing. There might be specials that I run from time to time, but I never feel pressured to lower my rates just because somebody is cheap. My repeats recognize that what I do is amazing work and they're willing to compensate me accordingly for it. 

If I didn't want to be paid for my work I would just Foster for a local dog rescue and I do! Lol! However, Rover is my business; not charity or volunteer work. 

VivianaR
Champ

I offer a discount of $5 for second extra dog and third extra dog. 

Once I had a pack of 4 dogs (from the same family) so I got a special quote made for them.  I called local boarding places to know their prices and I gave my client a competitive price with discount. 

Where I live is not a big city, so usually rover sitters charge between $20 to $30.    and boarding business charge $40 to 50 per night

Since I already do the low base rate I do the same price per each dog. I could understand doing a lesser charge per each additional pet if I had a higher base rate. For drop-in visits for cats I just charge for the drop-in visist for one cat but split the price between both pets so they're both still covered for insurance. I don't really want to deal with people asking for extra discounts, personally, since I've had experiences where they then try to ask for more discounts and even where they'll extend the stay by one day and try to not pay the extra day. If they don't want to book because I won't offer an extra discount then I take that as it was meant to be. 

MiniFarm
Champ

Discounts are touchy.  For two dogs from the same family I still charge full rate.  Only because two dogs is the average for a family.  For three from the same family I give 10%. And I always give 15% for military with proof.

Highlighted
DanielaMKE
Dog fanatic

I only provide discounts on my terms --- and it's usually random, but for clients who use me A LOT. I never give discounts to new clients, as most Rover sitters are already cheaper than the typical kennel or boarding business. Taking care of the second dog isn't less work (generally) than taking care of the first dog. You're still doing the same amount of work and should be compensated as such. As a Navy vet, I also don't think military discounts in a small business environment are helpful towards business owners, so I don't use them, nor do I give them.

Zambinina
Dog fanatic

When I first began sitting on Rover.com, I offered a multi-dog discount as an incentive for clients to book with me. I also set my price a little lower than some of the other sitters in my city. When you're starting out, you face a lot of competition!

Once I built a solid network of repeat clients (and earned a good number of 5-star reviews), I raised my rate by $5 per dog, and stopped offering a multi-dog discount.

I found that as an established sitter, most of my clients did not mind the $5 increase. In addition, new clients often prefer more experienced sitters, and are willing to pay a few dollars more for excellent service:)

It's also not a bad idea to browse other sitter profles in your area to see what they're charging, how much experience they have, how many reviews they have, etc. Just price accordingly!

CocoaMilo
Champ

I offer a $5 dollar discount to repeat business. I also do a special rate for customers for 10 nights or more. I have a lot customers who go out of the country a couple of times a year. They truly appreciate the discount.

LynneLuvsDawgs
Dog fanatic

Re: *Multidog Discount** & Longer stays

Along those lines, what do you do for longer stays? And compounded if someone has 2 or more dogs? That can result in substantially less revenue. I'm more willing to do that for repeat customers but would like a way that there is a "higher" rate automatically for first-time stays and then a % off (if we want) for repeats since we know the dogs and their humans and if they are a good fit, there is a lot less work to get to know them.

Would be nice, also, if Rover would decrease their % a bit so we could offer these discounts and because there is less work on their end once there are some ongoing or repeat customers. Thoughts?

rbflora
Dog fanatic

Re: *Multidog Discount** & Longer stays

We don't offer discounts for multi pups, because we think then it gets around and more discounts are wanted. We also get asked if we give discounts for longer stays which we don't.  It's usually just new clients or ones that just use us once or twice a year. Most of our clients are more interested in the care and love the pup gets and not saving a a few dollars.