cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CindyG
Champ

Newbie Sitters - Some 'Need to Knows'

So you've made the decision to give Rover a try.  I've been using Rover for 8 months, and it's been great. I thought I'd share some things I've learned so far. 

-Any time a dog comes to your home, have it potty before it comes inside...no matter if it just did before the owner brought it over.  If you don't do this, more than likely you'll be cleaning up a mess inside your house during the MnG.

-Crating and confinement.  You "can" use crates provided by owners, but if you don't want any chance of a crate escape, then buy a STURDY crate.  Dog gates will make boarding a MUCH more seamless experience.  Strong tall dog gates are a good investment and available on Amazon.

-Never rely on rooms for confinement when you are away...unless you like destroyed window treatments, sills, doorframes and doors.  

-Never leave dogs unsupervised outside, even in a fenced backyard.

-No matter how nice your own dogs are, have a means of keeping them separated from client dogs if the need arises.  Crating a client's dog for its entire stay isn't acceptable.

-Never allow a client to drop off their dog without the booking finalized.

-Never accept a potential client's offer to handle payment off Rover.

-Unless you are really, really comfortable with not having one, always insist on a Meet and Greet prior to bookings.  

-Have a list of questions for potential clients at Meet and Greets (Rover has suggested questions).  "Be the boss" of the MnG.  Speak and act with authority, don't barter your prices, and have your policies set.

-Boarding clients often want an early drop off and late pickup (example 10:00am/8pm).  They're usually based on their flights.  Some sitters don't mind accommodating these unpaid hours, but many charge a fee for late pickup, usually charging a daycare rate.  Decide what you want to do, and include this in your profile.  You can modify the booking at the MnG if the owner wants this.

-When you get a booking request for boarding, ask what requested drop off/pick up times are.  That's when you find out if the above-situation is needed.

-Always, always remember, dogs are dogs.  They destroy property, can be unpredictable when it comes to housetraining in a home not their own.  They can untrained and/or unruly.  You get the picture.

Boarding dogs is a demanding job.  If you're trying it thinking its easy money, better to look elsewhere right now.

Cindy

6 Replies
Cat2316
Dog fanatic

Re: Newbie Sitters - Some 'Need to Knows'

I like the “be the boss” comment and not to haggle/ set your prices... I tend to bend to the wishes of the client (the one experience I had, not Rover) and I felt badly afterwards. Thanks for boost of confidence 

Highlighted
MFraser
Dog fanatic

Thanks for all the info!

0 Kudos
Mikaylaid
Dog fanatic

Possible rename Newbie Boarders not sitters. A sitter goes to someone’s else’s home.

0 Kudos
CindyG
Champ

By definition that is correct, however Rover has 2 designations...'sitter' or 'owner'.  Since this a Rover page, I'm simply following their format  :)

0 Kudos
vwoman87
Dog fanatic

"make sure the visiting dog pees before entering your house to avoid cleaning up a mess during the MnG"...and yet, still expect to clean up a mess during the MnG because Fido is Fido and Murphy's law rules all.

Keep in mind how you react to this is something the owner may be watching for as well!

Dogs are like potty-training-in-progress toddlers, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. If you start yelling and lunge toward them, their just going to pee more and do so while running away from you. Stay calm, quietly grab some paper towels and smoothly clean up anything that happens right away. You can sanitize after the MnG and/or ask your client if their dog is sensitive to any cleaning agents (one dog I know will refuse to come anywhere near me if he smells cleaners of any kind on my skin and one cat I used to have adored the scent of bleach and would rub himself all over me after I cleaned the bathrooms!).

OCdogcare
Top dog

You're absolutely correct.

Sitters can perform sitting services at the dog's home (House sitting or Drop In Visits) or their own (Boarding or Daycare) versus Walkers (at the dog's home).

I think the previous post was indicating she felt the content applied more & was more helpful to boarding services.