cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PamelaS
Dog person

Review of the dogs by other sitters should be viewable with the dog's profile by other sitters

Hi All,
when we as sitters have an experience with a dog, we should be able to write a review about that dog and it should become a part of that dog's profile, that we, as sitters are able to view.
Perhaps that review is not even visible to the dog owner.

Many times, I will have owners describe their dog to be one way, but then find that their dog is not behaved well at all, or has some other behavioral issue that the owner is not fully disclosing, (like NOT being housetrained, for example or having terrible separation anxiety, where the dog barks incessantly.)

It would be really good to know what another sitter has experienced with the dog before.

It seems only fair -- the owners are able to give a review of us as sitters.... other people see those reviews and make their decisions whether to inquire with us for service partially based on those reviews.

A review of the dog's personality, behavior, great training or negative issues would be good to know BEFORE we accept a booking.
Often, the dog's full behavior is not apparent in a meet and greet.

And often, I would think that a lot of the reviews will be positive, which will also be helpful with sitters feeling totally at ease, with sitting a dog for the first time... as well as, a sitter could provide some helpful tips that pertain to that specific dog.

Another sitter mentioned that it would be a good idea to be able to leave reviews about owners, and I agree with that also... and think it should extend even further, that we are able to hear from other sitters about the dog.  Because even though there could be issues with owner behavior, it is the dog that I am going to be stuck with in my home, once I've taken on that booking. 
I'd like to have a little better idea before I agree to book that dog, if any other sitter has had any issues with BOTH the sitter and / or the dog,... but especially what the behavior of the dog is.

And again, this info should be ON the dog's profile,... perhaps only accessible by the dog sitters.

Thoughts ???

10 Replies
Highlighted
Bill
Dog fanatic

Re: Review of the dogs by other sitters should be viewable with the dog's profile by other sitters

I like that idea. I have looked thru a dogs/owner profile at the pictures and have seen that a dog has been with several different sitters. I wonder why that dog/owner goes to different sitters..

Zambinina
Dog fanatic

Re: Review of the dogs by other sitters should be viewable with the dog's profile by other sitters

I agree that sitters should have the ability to leave reviews for dogs AND their owners that are visible to other rover.com sitters. The first thing I do when I receive a request from a new client is see if the client has used rover.com before. If they have, I go take a look at how many different sitters they've used. If they've used more than a couple, it is definitely a red flag!

I understand that some sitters are more tolerant of certain behaviors than others, and that sometimes the first match isn't a good one. BUT, I wonder how rover.com handles dogs that have caused injuries to other dogs or people? Are they still allowed on rover.com if the sitter reports the incident?

LynneLuvsDawgs
Dog fanatic

I agree but possibly only limit to sitters being able to view (though then there is the issue of those sitters who also use the services!)

TimD
Champ

Agree & Kudo’d 👍

Mercy
Champ

I think this would be absolutely fantastic! Because someone owes you can ask them until you’re blue in the face if there’s anything you should know about their dog if they have any bad habits or any quirks and still you don’t find out about something that’s a major headache until the dog is already in your home and they’ve marked repeatedly and different things.  Or they can’t play without barking their heads off. Or they get along fabulously small dogs but they have way too much energy when they get around large dogs just won’t settle down. 

Let’s face it we all want to believe that our dogs are fabulous and they don’t have any quirks… But that’s simply not true and sometimes dogs behave  differently when the owners aren’t around which is the case over half the time. 

TKT
Dog fanatic

I completely agree! I've sat extremely ill-mannered dogs that are completely unhousebroken, are incessant barkers or constant whiners due to severe separation anxiety, or are aggressive to other dogs, and clueless owners want repeat bookings and there isn't enough money to have those dogs back in my home. I've had dogs that I've been told are really easy going and I couldn't even touch them without being bitten. This wasn't through Rover, as I mainly work for a local company, but it's why I'm VERY selective about Rover dogs, because it's only recently that Rover has encouraged a meet and greet, which I learned to do years ago. However when I mention that as a stipulation prior to boarding, some people won't book. That tells me they don't care enough about their dog to check me out, and also don't care if their dog is a problem child. As noted previously, even then it takes having the dog without the owner around to get an idea of true behavior, and also in my experience it takes a dog at minimum 24 hours to settle down in the new environment.

I do have maybe four repeat male client dogs that are inveterate markers, they pee on everything in the house as well as the outdoor funiture. The owners swear they are housebroken, but some dogs are only housebroken in their own homes. Those dogs I use child diapers on, I use them sideways like a fat belly band and they work great. Female dogs who won't stay clean are harder to deal with if they won't use wee pads, won't keep a diaper on, or won't pee unless they have a 20 minute walk 6 times a day. I'd like to have that info up front.

I also agree that reviews should be in the form of a plus minus scale report card with all behavioral area listed and a space for comments. Example = separation anxiety 5 = high.

Owners should not be able to see the review, and only verified stays should be able to be reviewed. Owner issues could be covered in the notes, for example late to drop off or pick up, insufficient communication if questions are asked about the dogs, etc. I've even had some owners not leave enough food for their dogs!!

I have been blessed with wonderful repeat clients, but I also have some that have to be relegated to the kitchen behind baby gates so that my house doesn't smell like a sewer. I take dogs out every 2 hours at minimum or whenever anyone even acts like they need to go out, but for example have one female that will squat immediately after she eats and pee all over the floor, but who refuses to use the wee pads or pee outside. I actually have to stand over her while she eats, then carry her outside to leash to go for a walk. I don't want any more clients like that, thanks!

Akuklinski27
Dog fanatic

I agree on both being able to review dogs and the owners. I have had a few different occasions that the owner said the dogs were well behaved and got along great with other dogs, but one dog scratched and dug at my basement door completely destroying it and the owner acted shocked! Like her dog could never do such a thing. Obviously I didn’t get asked to keep the dog again. Another time I had a visiting dog and he was playing outside with mine both parties were playing a little crazy nothing viscious but very vocal , I’m not completely sure what how it happened but I believe my dog nipped the tip of the visiting dogs ear and it was bleeding and it had actually taken a piece of the ear . It was definitely not an attack they were both playing and when the owner came to pick up the dog she acted totally fine and come to find out months later she had texted me thinking i was the “new sitter” who she booked with and she was like oh yes we will definitely be booking soon and she called me by the new persons name! I was mortified bc she had already acted fine but then she was really rude about how her dog didn’t deserve that, which I understand but she could have been upfront when I had explained what happend. It was an accident and I would never have neglected her dog 

0 Kudos
Hope
Dog fanatic

I 100% agree. It would be helpful to know more than just the owner's view of their "baby". All pet owners aren't great at seeing the faults or the less perfect habits of their dogs. 

N430LIA
Dog person

I have to agree. I have noted that owners may lie about their dog's behavior. In particular "house training". 

I would hope that owners would be honest about their dog's behavior in the house, on the leash and around other dogs. People being people will not always tell the truth. Perhaps they are afraid a sitter will not board their dog. I wish there were a better solution.