cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TysonS
Champ

Screening new clients - some tips

With each sitters experience, home set up, and preferences the importance of matching you to your clients is one of the most important contributors to a positive Rover experience. There’s a few key things when thinking about a new client. 1) Screen thoroughly 2) Learn to say no 3) Have a network of other Rover sitters you can refer and work with.   

Screening

Figuring out early what sort of dogs fit your experience, lifestyle and other preferences is critical to grow your business and most importantly for the dog to have a positive experience. For me, I like having larger active (working, herding, sporting) dogs here. I’m home all day with the dogs and very active, so I like dogs that match my lifestyle. Meet and greets are a great way to start but I have learned these can be a waste of time. With some text and a phone screen first you can quickly see if the dog is a match for you.

When a client asks to book a stay the first thing I do is let them know that we need to chat on the phone before confirming the stay. This will save you a lot of time and sometimes awkward face to face meet ups if the dog and parent aren't a good match.  Here’s my phone screen agenda. 

Quick intro on yourself, your Rover & K9 experience

Have the customer tell you about their dog. This gives you a glimpse into their style, the dogs behaviour and allows you to ask more pointed questions. You can learn a lot by listening.

Key questions

How is the dogs health, weight and movement?

How does your dog do around other dogs and new people?

Where does your dog sleep?

What happens when you leave the dog in another room, or when you leave for work?

Where has the dog stayed in the past and how did it go? Any kennel or daycare experience?   

Saying No

A good way to make your life difficult and will probably also end up bad for the dog, is to agree to take dogs that don't fit with you. There’s also parents that aren't a good match for several reasons. Save time and a bad experience by simply saying no thanks. I found honesty works really well!       

Rover sitter network

A great way to help a new potential client is to network with other Rover sitters near you. If you are at capacity, the dog isn’t the best fit, or your plans change having a few folks you trust can be a big help. I find other sitters to be open to exchanging ideas and to help with client handoffs if needed.  

Thanks for reading and I will post more things soon!