cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeaceOfMind
Dog fanatic

Snake bites

Hello All,  I'm a Rover in SW Durham, NC.  Lots of woods around. The following was posted to my neighborhood listserve today.  I thought it could be helpful to share.

"My dog was bit by a copperhead today

Just a heads up, it’s copperhead breeding season and lots of them have been seen recently. My dog Wicket was bit today on Racine Street, and when we took him to the vet (Triangle Veterinary Hospital on Old Chapel Hill Rd) they said he was the third snake bite patient they’d had today. Keep your eyes open and keep your dogs away from tall grass or other areas where a snake could be hiding. Be safe in your yard as well- when in doubt, use a rake before reaching your hand down towards the ground."

I'm also wondering if anyone has had to deal with a dog being bitten by a snake or anything else creepy crawly while in your care.  How did you handle it?  

Would love to meet other Rovers in Durham!

6 Replies
OCdogcare
Top dog

Re: Snake bites, bee stings, and coyotes

In my area, no snakes. However, there are plenty of bees, especially near the flowering shrubs & flowers where the male dogs like to urinate. They've stung my dog more times than I care to count. Must be because he's so sweet! I always have generic equivlent of Benadryl at home and in the car.  To prevent  anaphalactic shock and a vet visit, it requires remove the stinger and administer 1 MG per each LB of dog weight up to three times for first 24 hours.

Recently, I observed a coyote when my dog and one of his small friends were going on a walk. Annually, I review a publication about coyotes published by humanesociety.org and projectcoyote.org, which includes hazing technques as well as a reminder when Not to haze (such as if it's March through July  and you may be near a coyote den and if you're a comfortable distance away where you can calmly walk away, pick up leashed dogs, and leave).

PeaceOfMind
Dog fanatic

Hi OCdogcare,

Thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback. I am in the process of organizing my First Aid kit, so this is very helpful scenario planning advice!

Timing also perfect re coyotes, as I just had a discussion w a client who had a close encounter.  Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
OCdogcare
Top dog

Glad my response helped. Another tip I can offer is that since I care for small dogs, I cut some of the 25 MG tablets in half, so I have 12.5 MG doses ready for a dog weighing about that.

Coyote encounters, even in urban areas, seems to be on the rise and there's some confusion over how to handle it, so I saved those two thorough publications, which were free & available online.   

0 Kudos
Lafittes_DS
Dog fanatic

Re: Snake bites

I used to live in San Diego where Rattlesnakes roam the hills and valleys. My vet told me that there is a vaccine like shot that can be given a dog. While the shot does not stop the effects of a bite, it gives you about 2 hours to get to an emergency vet hospital.

I now live on the Gulf Coast, and rattlers live on the dunes where dogs like to go (the rabbits live there) and play  hunt, and where my dog likes to go and poop. I make sure that each year, he gets a booster shot because even though his vet is only 18 miles away, it takes an hour to get there because we have to take a ferry to get to Galveston where my vet is. The closest vet in the other direction without a ferry ride is 45 miles away. The shot gives me the opportunity to get to my vet when necessary.  When I walk my clients dogs, I make sure they stay away from the dunes. 

0 Kudos

Rattle snakes are out in the Phx, AZ and metro area hiking trails.  It's getting to hot to take our dog hiking and I am booked with dogs.  Been very careful to stay on trails and eye open when hiking.

0 Kudos
PeaceOfMind
Dog fanatic

Thanks for sharing your experience, suggestions and cautions, everyone!

Here's something I just learned - poisonous baby snakes can be more dangerous than poisonous adult snakes.  The baby snakes release all their venom when they bite, whereas the adult snakes release venom based on the size of their prey.  Logically, it could seem a baby snake bite could be less serious and be taken less seriously.  

0 Kudos