cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Derek
Champ

Things to have at home when offering boarding and day care

Just wondering from a few of our members that offer boarding and day care services (or plan on it): 

What are some important tools/items/equipment to have at home?

2 Replies
Highlighted
OCdogcare
Top dog

Re: Things to have at home when offering boarding and day care

When offering boarding at day care, a lot of Cleaning Supplies are needed. Paper towels a plenty. Nature's Miracle is a good cleaner. There's plenty of other cleaning solutions that may be be needed for specialty areas (such as carpet, upholstery, leather, laminate, wood, etc.)

Along those lines, it's a good idea to invest in an indoor playpen of a height the pups you accept can't hurdle and/or indoor fence, and/or indoor gate.  Many also suggest crates. Belly bands and diapers are good investments to protect your property when the pet isn't behaving as expected. Pee pads if you are going to accept dogs trained to go indoors and want to avoid being short handed if pet parent doesn't pack sufficient.

If you don't already own, bowls for food & water, preferably stainless steel. Also, beds and or bedding. Related to that, furniture covers for your furniture. Toys of various types (plush soft, active toys (fetch/chew/tug), balls) if you don't already have.   

For doggie relief, plenty of solid waste pick up bags. Also, wipes or something handy to wipe down paws after return from walks and eye discharge daily.  Generic version of Benadryl in case of bee sting to prevent anaphalactic shock. 

Though parents will need to be told to bring usual food & treats, so as to keep the pet on usual dietary routine: In your pantry, organic rice in case a pup has digestive upset (diahrrea) and you need nature's cork to firm up their fecal output. Possibly a can of pure pumpkin (no spice, sugar, etc added) - but that can either firm up or loosen up stool depending on dog, so it's a roll of the dice. If you want to stock a bit more in the kitchen...fresh or frozen skinless chicken breast boiled plain (no seasoning spices, oils/butters) which may be mixed with aforementioned rice. Broccoli in case a little too much blockage to get things moving again. With anything you might give dog, it's good to discuss pet parent preferences at meet & greet and again if a situation occcurs when you need to supply something to make sure they okay it. Possibly another healthy treat, if you want to stock, that the parent okays at the meet& greet.

A file / notebook format where you can save all pertinent information such as each pets' routine- eating and walking habits, activity level, known training commands, vet information/ status of medical preventatives (what & how often), emergency contact,  likes/dislikes/preferences/ known concerns (i.e will they remove squeekers with precision, eat plush toys, eat fuzz off tennis balls, etc., scared around traffic, dogs of certain size/cats, allergy sufferer, nervous habits) Electronic device to send and save many photos and updates.

CindyG
Champ

Re: Things to have at home when offering boarding and day care

I have extra leashes, one in particular is a 7' sturdy leash with traffic handle.  A lot of times owners bring retractable leashes, I don't do that lol.

Canned pumpkin, for intestinal troubles.  The beauty of canned pumpkin is that it can clear up a bout of constipation, or firm up loose stools.  Since only a little is needed, I fill tiny ziploc bags with about 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin and freeze them.  They thaw quickly and are easily mixed with dog's food.

I keep cheap treats on hand, sometimes the owners forget to bring some, or don't bring enough.

Old sheets/blankets, that I use strictly for covering furniture.  

I have one giant crate (Great Dane sized) that can handle the biggest/strongest of dogs.

I have very tall dog gates that can be moved from one doorway to another.

A bowl of toys and tennis balls.

Xylitol-free peanut butter, for pills

Parmesan cheese, for reluctant eaters.

0 Kudos