cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Derek
Champ

What all does your “house sitting” fee include?

So, I was wondering what all everyone includes in their “house sitting”: do you charge extra to walk the dogs you are house sitting? Also, is your fee just for the overnight stay part or do you spend most of your day at the house as well? How do you handle multiple-day house sits? Do you charge a separate fee to drop in during the day plus the overnight stays? These are just some things that came to mind but all input is welcome thank you!

8 Replies
OCdogcare
Top dog

Re: What all does your “house sitting” fee include?

You bring up some good points of distinction. When we were looking at options to care for our dog, we preferred all inclusive care pricing (including walks & affection) rather than an a la carte approach. So, that  led to my belief that house sitting should encompass everything a healthy and happy dog needs, such as walks and affection priced for care in 24 hour increments. It would be a nice enhancement if Rover filter options helped promote that distinction on profiles - both for house sitting and boarding. 

House sitting clients frequently have different needs, so we discuss what they want and their pet needs. Some do not need or require an overnight stay. Usually, we spend most of the day and evening at the house. Some clients are okay with us coming & going, giving walks and care every few hours. Whether it's for a single day or multiple days doesn't really make much difference.

Derek
Champ

Thanks for replying! This popped into my head when looking up some pet care services in my area. It seems a lot of these dog walking/sitter companies charge pretty much for every, single, thing. Like one had check boxes for things like poop pick up, fetching mail from mailbox, amount of walks, etc., and a price next to each option. I usually just kind of try to run the household as any other usual day for my clients.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TKT
Dog fanatic

The local company I work for has a house sitting charge that includes from around 7-8pm to 8-10am depending on who is doing the sitting. It covers evening walks and a morning walk, meals, yard duty to pick up poop, feed and clean any cats etc, watering plants, and picking up mail and newspaper. Because most of us have a long afternoon walking schedule as well, we would normally be gone from say 11- 4, so if the dog needs to go out then, there would be an additional potty break fee of $15 because we have to go back. It's usually a flat fee for the daily stay, no nickel and diming!

Hope
Dog fanatic

I do it as all in one fee. If they have a puppy or a senior dog that needs more potty breaks than normal then maybe an extra fee as I work a job as well. And I let them know when I will be gone for work and etc. 

Shaynawief
Dog fanatic

I consider the house sitting fee to cover everything. I most of the day and overnight. If the owner wants their dogs walked I do that. I clean up after the dogs and myself. Bring in mail. Shovel snow if it snows. 

Sometimes it works out to my advantage and I get a real easy gig. Other times it's a lot of work and I feel like I'm doing community service. I feel like it all evens out in the end though. 

KaraB
Dog fanatic

When I housesit/petsit, I treat it as a normal every day, as if their owners were home. That includes mail, clean up, walks etc. The price I charge per night reflects all of that included. 

kristenality
Dog fanatic

My additional dog rate is half of my first dog rate. I don't apply any other discounts.

kristenality
Dog fanatic

In my opinion, housesitting should be all-inclusive. I use their house as a homebase while staying overnight and follow the pet's routine to the best of my ability (food, meds, walks/exercise, etc.). I work, so I'm gone during the day, but I'm in the home in the morning, evening, and weekends outside of errands and other clients.