cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMR
Dog fanatic

What hours do you operate?

What hours do you operate for drop off and pick up? 

Many times, clients want to pick up or drop off at extremely unreasonable hours to save on the cost of booking another day. I have had to scale back and insist on firm times, especially recently. I feel that our hours are very reasonable and quite flexible at 7 AM and 8 PM. What hours are you using to keep your sanity?

8 Replies
MiniFarm
Champ

Re: What hours do you operate?

Hi SMR,

My hours are 6am - 8pm.  I've always been pretty flexible with pick up times.  Although it is a little frustrating when they drop off at 8am and then 8pm the following day.  

Do you charge for half day when they go over the 24 hour period?  How do you go about that?  I would really like to start cracking down on this.  We end up loosing out on not only money, but more drop offs because you may already be at your limit.

Tags (1)

My hours are from 7AM to 10PM for a little over 7 years now. And even with those hours I will sometimes get request for earlier drop offs and later pick ups. I am a little flexable about pick ups being before 11 PM if it's a regular client and they are just flying in at that time. I don't allow drop offs before 7 however.

0 Kudos
VivianaR
Champ

I'm a stay at home mom, so my hours are flexible, but I'm a night owl (I study during the nights, so I go to sleep around 2 or 3 am).

So I make sure to tell my clients during a meet and greet that my hours are from 9 - 10 am to even midnight.  

Some clients wanted to drop off their puppies like 6 am, that's too early for me.  So my clients are happy to book another night.

Every sitter have different lifestyles, and what I offer to my clients is supervision all day long, and very flexible hours to pick up and drop off but I do not wake up before 9 am.   

0 Kudos
DiMaso
Champ

7am - 9pm

0 Kudos

My hours at 7am to 6pm but I do flex to 7pm for a couple customers and anyone delayed due to flight/traffic.  The latest would be 7:30pm and if they can't pick up, they need someone to pickup for them or extend.

0 Kudos
OCdogcare
Top dog

Re: Charges after 24 hour period?

Hi MiniFarm,

Re. your Q.: When a client books a stay, if you ask what approx. time the dog is coming & going, that opens the conversation, so you can explain that the rate is based on a 24 hour period. You can let them know you're willing to be flexible, but a stay X number of hours* past will result in a small cost adjustment for the continued insurance, support, and care. If this understanding is set as soon as possible, ideally during meet&greet, and definitely before booked, it's relatively easy.

*It seems many siters give a 2-4 hour grace period after 24 hours and enter cost adjustment or daycare if it's closer to 8 hours past the 24 hour mark and a full night extra if it's 10-12 hours past.

0 Kudos

I'm a full time sitter, so I'm pretty flexible.  Drop offs no earlier than 7:30 for me, and pick ups no later than 10pm.  If a dog is coming in for day care, I let the owner know up front my daycare day is 9 hours..any longer than that I charge extra.  With boarding I find out the drop off and pick up times before they book.  If they are dropping off at 8am and not picking up the next day till like 7pm.. I charge extra.  So far I have not had any complaints.  Also kennels in my area charge a minimum of $45 a night..i have my rate at $35 for boarding.  

0 Kudos
TheDougWalker
Dog fanatic

I will accept drop offs as early as 7am and allow pick ups until 9pm. 

0 Kudos