cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to pack for a sit?

What do you pack for a sit?

Over time and experience my overnight kit has expanded to include some items I would have never thought to pack in the beginning. I treat overnight packing like "camping". I like to leave a gentle footprint in owner's homes. I bring my own bedding, pillow and towel so no matter where my sleeping arrangements are, I don't have to worry about cleaning owner's bedding. I have my own cooking kit. Ever accidently burn a pan? I'd rather it be my own. That kit includes a can opener. I have encountered a few homes where I am unable to operate their weird can opener! Another of my essentials is a headlamp. I wear it like a necklace when I sleep. Being awoken in the middle of the night by pet distress or other issues I don't have to fumble for a flashlight. I also have a small tool to hook on my pants for removing cholla from tender paws (I live in the CA desert). I have dog towels, dog blanket and first aid kit in my car.

3 Replies
OCdogcare
Champ

Re: What to pack for a sit?

I completely agree about packing a bunch - to leave as gentle a footprint as possible and also for my own comfort. That includes bedding, all toiletries, clothing, pre-prepared food (using reheatable containers or disposable wraps) & beverage. My first aid kit, along with extra towels and more, can remain in the vehicle. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Waverd75183
Dog fanatic

Brilliant!  I don’t sit outside my home because I’m a caregiver for a disabled person. But I just had a 3 hour visit in my home for my daughter and wished I had treats for my “granddaughter”, Moni. If I ever sit outside my home, I’ll be sure to follow your advice!

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Shannonm
Dog fanatic

In addition to personal care supplies I also bring some cleaning supplies, so as not to use up the clients' (also Roombas are a mystery to me, I hate to admit it).  During the meet and greet I like to ask about preapproved snacks, which can ease that first time entering the clients' home with a possible defensive pup.  

0 Kudos