cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Why did you become a sitter or walker?

Morning, everyone.  I'm curious to know... why did you become a Rover sitter and/ or walker?  I'd love to hear your story!

9 Replies
MiniFarm
Champ

Re: Why did you become a sitter or walker?

Good morning!  Becoming a sitter kinda fell in my lap.  Growing up I always wanted to become veterinarian (didn't happen).  A couple of years ago my family and friends went on a road trip to Zion National Park and Las Vegas.  Well at Zion they don't allow Pit Bulls (which is one of my dogs breeds).  I was driving down the highway and saw a window decal on some ones car that said DogVacay.  I ended up booking with a gal for my pitties stay. When we got home I left a review for my pups sitter and saw the link "Want to become a sitter?"  Right then and there I knew this was it!  I am a stay at home mom of three kiddos.  Being a sitter has made my world!

SweetRover
Dog fanatic

@AndreaHwrote:

Morning, everyone.  I'm curious to know... why did you become a Rover sitter and/ or walker?  I'd love to hear your story!

I recently came to a fork in my life and had to choose a new path. A friend told me to close my eyes and picture what I love. Of course it was dogs! I’ve doggy sat for many friends and family and I know I take very good care of their fur babies because they always will ask again. So I decided to open my horizons and offer my services and love to more people and fur babies. :)

Highlighted
Shaynawief
Dog fanatic

It started with fostering animals through the local shelter here. I did that because my cat passed away a few years ago and I missed having one around, yet wasn't ready to adopt yet. Somehow I ended up fostering way more dogs than cats and realized I was pretty fond of dogs too! Ended up with a 4 month gap between two jobs and saw Rover as a chance to use my love for dogs and cats as a source of income during that peroid. I still do some fostering so I can't have Rover clients in my own home but I'm still free to go to them. It's worked out very well. Happy I found Rover. 

dcmckenzie1
Dog fanatic

My cousin told me about Rover.com.   I had never heard of it.  And we had just lost our Italian Greyhound Millie so my daughter and I had gone to a few adoption events "just to look".  My cousin said we should give it a try based on our home and having a fenced in backyard.  We had our first booking after 4 days and then it took off.  We've been very busy and met a lot of great dogs and owners with many repeats.  And best of all, it's a great bonding activity with my daughter (17). We're backyard.jpgOur Rover backyardbackyard2.jpgMy daughter Madison with our dog Ryder and a friends dog Aubreybackyard3.jpgOur Rover backyardbackyard4.jpgOur doggie playgroundalways taking about "our dogs" that come to stay with us. 

David & Madison

VivianaR
Champ

I always loved animals!!  I wish I could be a veterinarian, but I just can't deal with medical stuff.

I started with Rover in 2015, my husband got laid off from work and I was 5 months pregnant. we needed an income and nobody is going to give a job a pregnant woman.  A friend of mine told me how I'm always surrounded by dogs, and how my property is so big and I should be a dog sitter. 

I started doing research about dog sitting and I found rover!  Then a whole world of possibilities became reality and I discovered my passion.  

I transformed my 3-acre property with a pond into a dog paradise and now I'm the #1 sitter in my city.  I  love dogs so much and after having a baby it really helped me with the baby blues. 

Viviana

I was inspired to become a dog sitter after years of trying to find a safe loving environment for my dogs when I traveled and remember the relief I felt when I found a Doggie ranch where dogs could roam free and not housed in a kennel. This was over 2 decades ago, before networks like Rover and the only other option was a kennel in a vet office. When I retired I wanted to give back, so do this work for dog owners to have the same peace of mind I would like for my own dogs if they were boarded. When I take a dog into my own home, or visit in their home, I love and pamper the dogs the way I'd like my dogs to be loved and cared for.  

WaltG
Top dog

I retired 3 years ago, sold the big house & moved into a smaller place. I finished the “honey-do” list and then after a couple of months of laying around doing nothing, my wife came home, put her hands on her hips and said, "You need to do something!”

Then, I happened to see a Rover ad on Facebook, clicked it & started my profile

I was a foster parent for a rescue org. for 3 years.  The organizers were going to disolve due to work schedules.  Another foster parent stepped in and took over it.  I found it getting harder to let each pet go out for adoption.  I decided to start pet sitting, not just to make some income, but because I would know the pets are coming to me from a good home, for a short time, and then back to their home.  I Love every one of my repeat sweeties.  I even adopted a dog of my own 3 years ago.  I love what I do and occasionally mention it to my pet parents.  They say "I wish I could do what you do!"  But, I know they enjoy their professions even though stressful at times.

void
Dog person

My mom found Rover when looking for a sitter for our dogs one summer. Later when I was looking for a job, she suggested I try it too, but of course I wasn't 18. I've always loved animals and being able to make money playing with and caring for dogs was a dream job. As soon as I turned 18 I signed up and got my first client shortly after my account was approved. I ended up with several repeat clients over the year that I was walking/sitting before I moved away for college.

Now I've reactivated my profile and am sitting here and there while I'm at college!